Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

When you get a flu shot, is it normal for you arm to be

Customer Question
swollen.I have this big muscle...
When you get a flu shot, is it normal for you arm to be swollen.I have this big muscle looking on my upper arm. It's very sore to the touch.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
10/1/2015
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

when did this start in relation to getting the shot. If it is 2 to 3 days following the shot, no problem. If it is a longer period now, then I would ask if it is red and warm? Did you get FLUcellvax or FLUblok? ( you probably do not know) Are you allergic to eggs? get back to me to discuss. Dr Frank

I am not allergic to eggs. I got the flu shot yesterday morning Sept. 30 th. The swelling started late that evening and was very warm. Although is still swollen and sore, is starting to feel some what better. Does it hurt to put ice on it? I have never had a flu shot to do this. Thank you

Hi. Yes. You should ice it as much as you can tolerate for the first 48 hours from your injection. Injection reactions in this initial period are usually histamine reactions only. They do not suggest a specific allergy to the components of the shot. You can takr an over the counter antihistamine like claritin to take out the redness. Get back to me with questions. The fact that it is getting better is a good sign. Please remember to rate me if satisfied. Thanks. Dr frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician