How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Frank Your Own Question
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 9000
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Frank is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 62 year old husband in good health, fell out of the back

Customer Question

Hi, My 62 year old husband in good health, fell out of the back of his truck while it was parked. He landed on his back and hit his head, he later told me he was knocked out. This happened 8 weeks ago. He didn't go to the hospital. A couple of weeks later he was carrying a table and his right arm started hurting and he experienced numbness. After a couple of days of pain his shoulder popped twice and the pain went away but his arm has been numb since. I came home a week later to find him in severe pain in his back and rib area on his left side, he was having a hard time breathing. I took him to the ER and they gave him a muscle relaxer and pain meds. He has been pain free for a month but is having numbness in his feet, left leg, sometimes the side of his face and neck and down around the front of his stomach, but mostly his feet. He has difficulty walking sometimes and says he really has to concentrate when taking steps. His right arm is completely numb, he cannot hold a pen to sign his name. We went to our family Dr. and he gave him pain meds which he doesn't need, then we tried a chiropractor who cracked his neck and did x-ray, it was after this that he started having trouble with his feet and legs. We went back to the family Dr. and he sent him for an MRI which showed 2 slightly bulging disc that could maybe be pinching a nerve, and they wanted him to have injections in his back for pain management, but he has no pain! We canceled the injections and are trying to get a referral to a neurologist in our area, but I am not sure if this is the type of Dr. we need. We are so frustrated and don't know where to turn. Do you have any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Certainly the symptoms you describe that your husband has ecperienced suggest a myelopathic process. That is to say problems in the cervical spine area shere the spinal cord was damaged as a result of that initial fall out of the truck. He needs a neurologist to examine his legs especially for spasticity and his gait or the way he walks. The mri may not show the problem. Please get back to me with questions or rate my service if satisfied by clicking on the stars. Dr frank.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please get back to me if i can help. Dr frank