Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My left foot has lost function due to nerve injury in my

Customer Question

My left foot has lost function due to nerve injury in my lower back 20 years ago. As a result I can not raise my toes in my left foot. Also, my left foot is about 20 % weaker and looks thinner than my right foot. I don't have any significant pain. With todays advancement in medical science, are there any procedures that can improve the function in my left leg?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JA

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Tough question. The bot***** *****ne as far as I know is no. But we are getting closer. The problem is wallerian degeneration, A process that evolves in nerves if the injury is axonal in nature. The destruction of axons occurs over month following injury. So at 20 years it is complete. There are new techniques to design 3D growing channels in silicone to let the nerve regenerate. These channels are constructed using a 3 D printer. It has been successful in rodents but is expensive. So maybe someday. But i am not aware of positive results in humans. Hope that answered your question. Please rate me by clicking on the stars or get back to me with questions. Dr frank.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the stars. I am only compensated with that rating thanks dr Frank