How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Frank Your Own Question
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 9000
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Frank is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a pain in my left knee, lateral side just under the

Customer Question

I have a pain in my left knee, lateral side just under the knee cap. When I kneel on that spot or squat it can feel like I have been shot in the knee. The pain can last a few seconds then it won't hurt anymore. This only started about a month ago and the pain is getting worse with time (for as long as it lasts). Is this something to do with the ligaments?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The pain you feel under your kneecap can unfortunately be a non-specific sign. Especially if this is seen when seated and tapping on the kneecap. It can involve all 4 of the major ligaments in the knee, especially if associated with fluid within the joint of the knee, that you will see pushing out on the lateral and medial sides just below the kneecap when seated. There is also a common condition called sub-patellar bursitis, where the bursa, a collection of fluid, essentially a pad underneath the kneecap is irritated. The pain is usually more "***** *****ke" or stabbing in that condition, so possibly that is your problem, although I cannot be sure from here.

I will send you a webpage on sub-patellar bursitis (also called infra-patellar bursitis or milkmaids knee) to review. In the meantime, consider getting a knee exam from your Primary Care Physician. The knee exam will independently test the ligaments inside the capsule of the knee, and check for increased fluid which is the hallmark of chronic ligamentous injury. You don't need an orthopedic appointment for the exam as most doctors are well trained in that function. Get back to me if I can help. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

If you would like to discuss this topic further, please feel free to use the reply box and let me know. If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions,you can find me here : ( Please book mark it) Thank you so much, Dr. Frank