Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have constant aching pains in my arms and fingers

Customer Question

Hi there I have constant aching pains in my arms and fingers stiffness in hands and arms upon weakening back pain head aches and fatigue - I'm also on gabepentin from doctor but no diagnosis - does this sound like fibromyalgia??
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.

Well if you feel stiffnes of JOINTS and aches of JOINTS such as your hands then that does not sound like fibromyalgia. Now it could be possible that you may have MUSCLE pain from fibromyalgia and also another problem such as osteoarthritis that may be affecting the hands. The Neurontin would be a treatment helpful to pain related to fibromyalgia.

It sounds that you describe Some osteoarthritis symptoms with the stiffness that you describe ( that is most common type and the distribution would fit...) you may benefit from anti-inflammatory treatment such as Aleve.

Your sleep quality may be poor as a possible contributor to your symptoms. This is a common problem that may tie in with fibromyalgia and fatigue. In some circumstances a sleep aid may be helpful such as Ambien or Lunesta .

I think you do need clarification of your diagnosis and how these relate to your symptoms. The symptom of fatigue is very broad in its possible causes for example.

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not so much stiffness just lack of muscle movement tired arms even first thing in the morning I'm unable to make a fist with either hands and my fingers really hurt in the mornings - my arms is a constant dull ache that's gets worse on some days - I try to keep my arms straight but that stills hurts too

Hello again,

Well I'm the condition of fibromyalgia this may cause muscle soreness and tender to press on mucles. Tender spots are common .Or feeling difficult to make a fist does not sound to be consistent there with fibromyalgia specifically. You may benefit to consult a rheumatologist or orthopedic specialist. I think an anti-inflammatory such as Aleve 2 tablets twice a day with food would be helpful for you your thyroid function to be checked would be a good idea as well.

I hope this is helpful for you.Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD