Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am having difficulty of keeping my balance. My

Customer Question

I am having difficulty of keeping my balance. My neurosurgeon thinks the cause is my severe spinal stenosis MRI results. I had decompression surgery on the 4th and 5th lumbar to remove pain and that was sucessful however my neurosurgeon detected compression on the 3rd lumbar and thinks that is the problem.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

I am a board certified US trained Neurologist and will try to answer your question. If you have your EMG/NCV report available and would like to upload it on this webpage, I could review it and tell you the muscles involved, to what extent and we could discuss options. If you don't need me to do that, then I can tell you if the third lumbar vertebra is compressed, the usual scenario is to cause compression of the L4 roots, on one or both sides. This nerve root primarily serves to innervate the quadriceps group of muscles in the anterior thigh, as well as the muscles that cause eversion of the foot that are in the lateral calf, the peronei. The also partially innervate other larger muscles of the anterior calf, like tibialis anterior. So your gait instability may be manifest by losing strength to the muscles that keep you up when you walk with your legs close together (not wide based) as well as you may find problems going up the stairs. Now, that is said in the setting of previous surgery, that if not perfect could still effect L5 and S1 roots lower down. So your entire problem may be a combination of old and new. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. Ask questions, again I can explain important changes on the emg if you need that information, or rate my service if satisfied. Good Luck to you. Dr Frank