How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gehring Your Own Question
Dr. Gehring
Dr. Gehring, Doctor
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 24220
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine self employed
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Gehring is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have asked this question and keep getting rejected. But

Customer Question

I have asked this question and keep getting rejected. But got notified that there was an error and to ask again. So here goes.
I am in a relationship with a doctor who is a cardiologist who specifically has limited his practice to treat lipid disorders to prevent atheroscerosis. I have been told by an orthopedic surgeon that he suspects i have peripheral artery disease and in my legs, called claudication. I wrote my doctor at letter asking if he could provide an assessment for me, or refer me to a specialist who can (he is at teaching hospital). He was out of town , but his office manager, wrote back and said he doesn't treat Cludidation. That wasn't the point, I wasn't asking him to treat, only to either help diagnose it, or to provide a referral with the university setting. I am left with this vague response that I should have by PCP refer, maybe to a vascular surgeon, but I don't even know if I have it for sure. The office manager, a nurse, often speaks on his behalf, but I think she didn't give me the right information. Does my doctor have a fiduciary duty now that he is aware I have possibly got the condition he is been treating me for in a preventative way, does he have an obligation to make a referral or to leave me on my own to try to make my own referral in a system where a referral for such evaluation needs to come from a treating or referring physician. I just want to know if he is negligent in not making the referral, and if his nurse is mistake, saying he doesn't treat it. He doesn't treat it is correct, but it is within his entire purpose as a preventative athercolrosis doctor to prevent it happening to me, and I think he has to respond to the question I have asked to find someone to assess me, since I don't know how to or who to go to for this. What is your take on this situation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Gehring replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am sorry to read that something went wrong and pleased to help you now.

Of course you need an evaluation to find out if you really suffer from claudicatio, which is a consequence of arteriosclerosis of your leg' s arteries.

It would be the easiest way to get referred by your cardiologist who, in fact, might even be able himself to check your arteries by doppler ultrasound. He defininitely is able to do that, the question is if he hasgot the equipment. But since you have some time, you can wait until your cardiologist returns.

You don't necessarily need a vascular surgeon, an angiologist can perform the necessary ultrasound as well.

So: I think, your cardiologist is responsible to help you examining this issue; either by referring you or by doing the examination himself. Another possibility is being referred by your PCP. if your cardiologist will be out of town longer, I would ask the PCP.

If I didn't make myself perfectly clear, please don't hesitate to ask!