Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

Are you able to tell me what my cervical MRI is saying? At

Customer Question
Are you able to tell...
Are you able to tell me what my cervical MRI is saying?
At C2-C3 there is some mild extradural defect along the anterior thecal sac consistent with a small posterior central disc herniation in conjunction with some mild uncovertebral spurring. No compromise central canal or neural foramina. C3-C4 mild extradural defect along the anterior thecal sac neural foramina suggest osteophyte/disc complex with mild impingement on the anterior spinal cord this level. There is moderate to high-grade bilateral foraminal stenosis as well. At C4-C5 there is a some mild extra dural defect along the anterior thecal sac minimal impingement on the spinal cord and no significant impingement of it. At this level is only some mild foraminal stenosis secondary to osteophyte/disc complex. At C5-C6 there is a disc bulge and conjunction with some uncovertebral and facet spurring there is high-grade right foraminal stenosis this level and moderate left foraminal stenosis. Only some mild abutment of the ant
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
9/10/2015
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. I am a US trained board certified neurologist and will try to answer your question. The best way to describe the morphological changes that are occurring in your vertebral spine is by having a model of the spine and pointing out the areas of bone growth and change.

That is unfortunately not available here online, so I will try to give you some idea of the changes described. Please get back to me with questions after your review. The Cervical spine was imaged here, that begins with C1 right under the skull to C7 which is the lowest cervical vertebra and can be usually felt as it has the largest spinous process, which you feel in your midline right at the base of your neck, between your upper shoulder blades.

In your case, there are small irregularities noted at several of the levels, between C2 and C3, etc. Those areas are the vertebral discs, that are like jelly donuts. Those discs have been flattened slightly or are bulging or flattened, and the bulging has cause bone regrowth, or bone spurring in the margins between the vertebral bone and the disc. This remodeling is essentially an arthritic change (osteoarthritis). The growth of bone along the areas where the nerves exit the spinal cord and pass through the spaces between the vertebral bodies is important, as the nerves can be pinched, causing numbness, weakness and pain in some order. When that happens around the pore or hole where the nerve exits, it is called neuroforaminal stenosis. The bone spurs themselves are named osteophyte/disc complexes, or DOC's. The uncovertebral joints are otherwise known as the facet joints, they offer stabilization of the whole structure, by they too can be remodeled by bone spurs, which is known as uncovertebral spurring. So essentially you have multiple levels of disc change with bulging into areas where the nerves lie, and bone has remodeled with spurring in several areas.

It is hard from here to give context to the seriousness of these changes without looking at the films myself. You did not include the final conclusions from the radiologist/neuroradiologist, which are the most important part of this report. I can say that with noted moderate to high grade foraminal stenosis noted at C3/4 and C5/6, you are probably getting pain and stiffness in your neck, radiating down into your shoulders, you may have some numbness noted around the thumb region on the right.

Please get back to me with questions if I can help, or rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician