Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My husband has soreness in both forearms that has lasted

Customer Question

My husband has soreness in both forearms that has lasted over a month. No apparent trauma or overuse as a contributor. The pain is localized on the inside of his forearms directly below where the arms bend at the elbow. Any thoughts on this? Maybe lymph gland infection of some sort ?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

hello. welcome to JA. I am a US trained, board certified neurologist and will try to answer your question. This problem requires some inspection and functional testing. Without that, I would suspect problems such as medial epicondylitis, or golfer's elbow. The medial epicondyle is a lump of bone with connections of many forearm muscles that travel to the palm area of the hand. When you flex your hand, those muscles are tense, and if that elicits pain/soreness, then this is a type of tendonitis. Using NSAID crèmes like diclofenace directly over these areas bilaterally will give symptomatic improvement. Alternatively, as you say there is no over use, you need to exclude some inflammatory muscle conditions like polymyositis, although this is unlikely to give regional involvement in that described area, it is usually in more proximal muscles of the shoulder, above the elbow. But a blood test for CPK might be indicated, if he has pain especially on squeezing the affected muscles. Does he have any other problems like rashes, exposure to toxins, or other systemic diseases requiring medication, to which he might have an adverse reaction? Let me know and I will return to reply. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I hope I was able to answer your question, don't forget to rate my answer as that is how I am compensated for my work thanks *****