Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

M curious about proneurolight therapy and Hakomed therapy. I

Customer Question

m curious about proneurolight therapy and Hakomed therapy. I had mild PN in legs. Lat year I took a bad fall playing racket ball which resulted in major back surgery ( l3.l4.l5 & s1 ).Pain is gone but have nerve damage in addition to pn in legs/feet. Is this stuff any good or it just hype?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
What evaluation has been done for the peripheral neuropathy?
Have you been tried on any prescription medicines for the peripheral neuropathy?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.
Pain in the legs due to musculoskeletal problems that are pressing on a nerve is different than pain in the legs from a peripheral neuropathy that is most often metabolic in origin.
There is some evidence in clinical studies that interferential current therapy, such as Halo-Med devices, can help with chronic pain of musculoskeletal origin, but there is not similar evidence to support the use for peripheral neuropathy. The studies have looked at relief of symptoms, but not accelerated recovery from nerve damage.
There is no similar evidence to support the use of Proneurolight for any of these conditions.
Depending upon the assessment, the the doctor may prefer to use medicines that have evidence for benefit in peripheral neuropathy. But if there are symptoms related to an underlying musculoskeletal condition, then there is some evidence to support the use of Hako-Med.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.