Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

U had a cervical mri and I need help understanding the

Customer Question

U had a cervical mri and I need help understanding the findings. c3-4 minimal posterior disc osteophyte complex abuts the ventral thecal sac. c4-5 some bloom artifact also a 2mm osteophyte facet joint on the right appears to abut the exiting nerve root . c5-6 bloom artifact. c6-7 mild posterior disk osteophyte complex. can you please explain what this means. thank you
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David
osteophytes are bone outgrowths associated with the degeneration of cartilage at joints, here in your neck spine
they can press on nerve or nerve roots which are the start of nerves when they exit the spinal cord and cause pain.
this appears to be happening at the C4-5 disk space.
you have 7 cervical neck bones in your neck, C1-7 and in between each one, nerves exit the spinal cord and go out down your neck and form the brachial plexus nerves which go into your arms.
sometimes osteophytes can press on nerve roots and cause pain to radiate down into your arms and hand and fingers
sometimes numbness can occur as well
why did you get this cervical spine MRI scan?