How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bob Your Own Question
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 5330
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Bob is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had low back pain months. My pain has gotten better

Customer Question

I have had low back pain for two months. My pain has gotten better by applying conservative treatments. I also did a lumbar MRI. The specialist told me that my bulging disc and bone spurs are small and they are not pressing against spine nerve roots. I don't have sciatic pain down my legs, but I did notice tingling / burning sensation on my feet when I sit or am in certain positions. The sensation is not painful, but uncomfortable and annoying. When I walk, I don't feel the sensation. But after I exercise, such as walking for 30 minutes, I feel a lot of sensation on my feet / legs (again, not painful, but feel like something is "jumping" inside my muscle). My legs sometimes feel tired after sitting for too long. My reflex is ok and can walk with tip-toe. My doctor and physical therapist think my sensation is most likely caused by nerve irritation due to lumbar changes (although MRI shows no serious concern there). I am relatively healthy so no diabetes, HIV or something like that. Question - should I be concerned about any serious neurological problems, such as peripheral neuropathy? Or am I just googling / worrying too much?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Your description does not sound worrisome, particularly if you are in good overall health otherwise. One thing you could do it get nerve conduction studies (i.e. NCV/EMG). These tests will show you if there is any evidence of nerve damage in the legs, how severe it is, and where it is likely coming from. Another consideration would be a "small fiber neuropathy."

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Small fiber neuropathy manifests in a variety of different ways and often results in symptoms of burning pain, shooting pain, allodynia, and/or hyperesthesia. Diagnosis of this condition is determined primarily by the history and physical exam, but functional neurophysiologic testing and skin biopsy evaluation of intraepidermal nerve fiber density can provide valuable diagnostic clues.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

You should ask your GP for a referral to a neurologist who can examine you, do the appropriate tests, and sort out the possible causes of these abnormal sensations.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any follow up questions about this? Let me know if there is anything else I can do to be of help.