How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMd Your Own Question
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 65020
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
DrRussMd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just wondering I have been suffering with referred pain in

Customer Question

Hi just wondering I have been suffering with referred pain in my glute for about 15 months had scans,rays,MRI finding the real reason for this. Findings are degenerative change in the spine with osteophytic spurring and type 1 modic end plate changes atL5-s1 with disc desiccation l1-2,l4-5 and L5-s1. A large board based posterocentral and left paracentral focal disc protrusion at)l5-s1 with annulus tear causing ventral the al sac invention and abutting the left traversing s1nerve root.
A posterocentral annulus bulge is a so seen is also seen at L4-5 causing ventral the al sac indentation but without compromise of the adjacent traversing or existing nerve roots..
I found this out about 7 weeks ago. Since then have progressively got worse pain in in hamstring and behind my knee with accasional in calf. I have had deep tissue treatment, cupping, chiro, Bowen, Dr killian serge on told me I could still exercise, walk, palates, strengthening exercise with personal trainer. Tried palates twice hurt too much, haven't been to gym in four weeks, or walked much. Still working which my job I'm a cleaner. Slowing losing flexibility in my leg hard to put socks and shoes on, pain nearly all day. Doc said today possibly have nerve damage and time to visit a nurosergeon. I'm pretty card I don't what to do as sergery is pretty full on I suffer with depression but I don't how much more pain and no exercise I can cope with I have been pretty fit all my life and card with an op or no op I'll never b fit again. Can u please talk to me about what I need to do please. Michelle
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
You need to find a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor and get an EKG/NCS
This will show if you are getting nerve damage, and it will set you up for a manual medicine program to avoid surgery.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
Type above.
That's EMG/NCS.
This will show the degree of nerve compromise.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Come back as needed.