Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am a 45 year old Asian female suffering from many health

Customer Question

I am a 45 year old Asian female suffering from many health issues including diabetes, medullary sponge kidney and chronic pain. My left hand, arm and shoulder have been swollen and painful for more than 5 years. My wrist is double the size of my right arm and I believe the swelling is causing the nerves in my arm, hand and shoulder to be compressed. I have seen a neurosurgeon and a pain specialist. I have undergone many procedures and surgeries to help relieve my pains including an anterior cervical distectomy and fusion, only to now be told I have fibromyalgia, complex regional pain syndrome and arthritis. I have a muscle stim device implanted in my spine and topical pain cream to help with my pain. My arm and hand often turn purple and become excruciatingly painful when I perform any activities. So my question is, am I being told I have arthritis so that I stop asking the doctors to help me figure out what is really wrong or do I really have arthritis and if I do what should I do to help my pain?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
Hello
What test confirmed the arthritis.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have diabetes and a medullary sponge kidney (both kidneys). I am on a variety of medications to help with all my ailments. I take 1000mg of metformin bid, 150mg lyrica bid, 60mg cymbulta od, 5mg Crestor od, 2.5mg indapemide od, 5mg vesicare od and I take an eye health multivitamin with lutein daily. I also have insulin injections; my long acting insulin is lantus and I take 40 units in the morning and 50 units in the evening and I have novo rapid on a sliding scale.
I suffer from depression and anxiety.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS