Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I'm an obsessive compulsive hypochondriac... But I am having

Customer Question

Hi, I'm an obsessive compulsive hypochondriac... But I am having real symptoms this time (not the psycosomatic stuff), and it is scaring me. I have a low burning pain in my right nostrel / sinus (my right). My teeth also hurt on that side. Sometimes I
get shivers over my scalp on the right side. When I irritate that nostrel, sometimes I feel a numb feeling (the tingly kind) on the skin near my mouth. This feeling goes a way. I have this pocket of fluid on my right gum which is back for the second time (actually
it looks white like pus). I have not brushed in quite some time (due to carelessness). I know that my wisdom teeth are sideways, but they were not taken out since they were not bothering me, and sometimes the surgery is not worth it. I have not lost my sense
of smell in either nostrel. I do not feel feeverish. I have felt these things in my face and scalp for the last three days, usually after irritating my nose by blowing on it. I have also had bad anxiety and panic for the last month (worst in three years).
The anxiety and racing thoughts happens every year around this time. (Look at the timestamps for my previous posts if possible) I also wake up wheezing and coughing up phlegm, which has been going on for two weeks. I had an allergy test a couple of weeks ago,
which showed nothing except dust mites. However the wheezing and coughing started AFTER I bagged my mattress and pillows. Based on the symptoms alone, what should I do? I don't think I'm going do die... but... I am phobic about things which can cause encephalitis,
such as brain eating amoeba and rabies! I have been told I should not worry about thease things. (it's also how I learned not to look up symptoms when I am worried... BIG MISTAKE) I had a rabies shot three years ago (almost exactly), but I don't know if I
am still immune. My amoeba fear causes me to obsessively blow on my nostrels when I am worried I might have a tiny droplet of dirty water in them. I have been fighing this phobia for three years, and I may have screwed up and inflamed my nose for all I know.
Finally, 15 days ago at dawn I thought I saw a bat in the sky flying over me high above. I ducked my head since I am afraid of bat drool getting into my eyes. I thought I felt something wet im my eye, but I was compulsively checking too. However, I saw real
bats that evening, and what I saw in the morning didn't fly the same. ... but this is ... whell crazy. I am in the process of finally getting help for my OCD, but it might be a couple of weeks before I can see a counsellor, let alone a psychiatrist. I've put
it off for so long since it made me feel uncomfortable, because I'm still pissed off about all the Ritalin I was prescribed as a child. I sort of have a bitter grudge against Psychiatrists, I don't trust them. I don't want to go back. But I hear good things
about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and (even though it scares me) Exposure Response Prevention.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Crap... it removed the line breaks, now it looks like one big manic rant instead of two manic rants... Oh well, can't win them all.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
any other medical issues?
This sounds like allergies to me.
is that what you are wondering?