DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

Can diffuse axinol sensory peripheral neuropathy be caused

Customer Question

Can diffuse axinol sensory peripheral neuropathy be caused by an operation (hip replacement)
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello
No
A diffuse neuropathy would not be caused by this.
What is the situation?
What does your neurologist say?
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a hip replacement in Feb ,2015 and the next day my right leg was num from lower back and rt cheek of buttocks down my leg front and back of thigh, my calf to my foot all the way tonight toe. My neurologist sent me to a pain clinic without even a follow up. Is it possible that emg was compromised because of right hip and leg problem
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.
No.
More likely this operation aggravated a problem in the lower spine, and nerve compression there.
If your prosthesis is compatible with an MRI scan, you need an MRI of the lower spine, even if the EMG is normal.
The operation would not compromise the EMG findings.
OK, so that is an initial answer….