Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

Ive been hitting my head off the wall since 14. Think I may

Customer Question

Ive been hitting my head off the wall since 14. Think I may have a depressed skull fragment after doing it again Sunday. Tender to touch, wasnt noticeable but theres a small dent about the size of my thumb. Since noticing it have an annoting headache.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Im sorry tohear about your condition. However i would like some additional information so i can help you in a better way. You said you have been hitting your head against the wall....was this an accident or some compulsion you feel? Also regarding your current issue, apart from the headache have you exeprienced any of the following symptoms such as vomiting, loss of consciousness and numbness or weakness in any region of your body?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi this is a compulsive problem I have. No vomiting but I have recently had back problems and walking with my right leg is hard.. Although that was the case before the most recent incident
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Harder than it used to be I mean.. Could just be all the exercise I started doing

Thank you the additional information. Regarding your current issue, its very difficult to say whether you have a skull fracture or not without a skull xray however the lack of symptoms such as vomiting or any focal neurological signs which means any weakness in your limbs or numbness for that matter and the absence of conscious disturbances most likely means this is not a major injury. However i would still like to emphasize that considering that the area is tender to touch you DO need a skull xray and a proper neurological exam from your physician. A head injury can take many forms, your injury can be classified as a minor currently however without proper care it can progress in certain cases.

Secondly, regarding the previous problem which you mentioned about your leg pain alongwith back pain, that can be a number of things including sciatica or nerve root compression. I would recommend that you get that checked out, a spinal xray would be the first step along with again a neurological exam. I might sound like a broken record i know, but you should get both of these done.

Lastly, even though you have not asked advice regarding the compulsion you feel, i would still recommend that you seek professional help for it. I do hope that you have seen someone regarding it.

I hope this answers your question. please feel free to ask followup questions and please rate me if you find my answer useful.

I see you have not accepted the answer, do you need any more information?

Please let me know if i can help you in anyway