Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

Back of left leg to knee and hurt when getting out of chair

Customer Question

Back of left leg to knee and butt hurt when getting out of chair or bed. Feels like someone is pulling my muscle off my leg. Walking just fine. If I have to lift leg to put on socks or pants I get shooting pain again
Category: Neurology
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer. Do you have a specific question I can help with? I am a board certified neurologist.

Expert:  KarayanMD replied 2 years ago.

From your description, with the shooting type of pain, it is most likely you are suffering from sciatica, which is the term often used for a pinched nerve in the low back that can cause pain radiating down the back of the leg. It would be LESS likely that the pain is a muscle strain in the hamstring or buttocks muscle.