DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

I am a 48 year old female with Polycystic Kidney Disease. I

Customer Question

I am a 48 year old female with Polycystic Kidney Disease. I have had both Kidneys removed, had been on Dyalisis for avout 3 years, transplanted May 27 2009. At first diagnosis the pain of two very large kidneys was treated with several Years of Oxycontin starting with a 40 mg x4 ending years later at a dose of 180 mg x3. These meds did me no favors. Went through 2 runs of rehab. Have not had Oxycontin in well over 6 years, but starting about 3 years ago nerve pain started random at first to the point I'm at now. My arms and leggs are pins and needles at all times to hands and feet which are in constant pain from tingling and numbness to the point of it becoming a problem walking in pain and agony complicated by numbness and a Bone deterioration disorder thst no doctors have been able to lay fingers on yet. They did a PET Scan snd scared me about Bone Cancer. Yet although I'm in constant pain no doctor has yet to do any thing except to grudgingly give me very small doses of pain medication. The meds barely get me through the day and the combo of Anti-rejection meds andeverything else nake me very sick. Since I started presenting serious symptoms in Feb 2015 No one took it serious until late June. Is there any Treatments that would ease the nerve pain or heal the nerves enough to be tolerable. From Feb 2015 I've gone from about 165 to my lowest now of 138. Any fresh ideas or thoughts? Also They have tried top 4 nerve meds and My body reacts very badly to them all.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I an not sure what your question is.
Gabapentin and lyrica would be typical meds.
But others as well
Cymbalta
Amyltriptalline
And others.
A pain management specialist should be consulted.
Outside of conventional medicine, I have found Chinese acupuncture to be very helpful with nerve pain of all types.
You simply have to find a good practitioner.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.