Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

My husband is having episodes of shimmering in his vision

Customer Question

Hello Dr, my husband is having episodes of shimmering in his vision and a few days ago he woke with numb fingers that lasted for 24 hours. I am concerned. His gp has done a CT scan and it was clear. He has always been extremely fit and healthy. Do you have any advice?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist; the expert to whom this question was originally addressed is not available now so the company has made this question available to other experts too and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.
1) How long these episodes of shimmering in the vision last? Are these associated with any headaches? Does this involve both the eyes, or only one eye? Has he been evaluated by a neurologist or an eye doctor already?
2) Did the numbness involve only the fingers or did it involve the hand & arm too? And which fingers were involved?
3) Was there any other symptoms like arm weakness, facial droop, speech difficulties, confusion etc?
4) He has no diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, thyroid etc, am I right?
5) Is he on any treatments now (medications or non-medications)?
6) Any investigations done other than the CT scan (like any blood tests or any other tests were recently done)?
7) Is he still having these symptoms (eye symptoms & the numbness of fingers), or is he already better now?