How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 1985
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I often experience buzz/zap/electrical like feelings in my

Customer Question

I often experience buzz/zap/electrical like feelings in my head. I have a spot on my back behind my left shoulder around the shoulder bone that itches ALL the time. Sometimes I feel a sting/zap like sensation at that spot. My husband says nothing there. I have asked the Nurse Practitioner I see with Anderson Skin & Cancer but he finds nothing. Then within a couple to 3 months I had a very sharp zap in my right leg behind my knee that jolted by whole body and sounded like a vibration in my head. That spot is tender since then. My question to you is .... are these systems something for me to be concerned about? I think about having a brain tumor or aneurysm or major blockages somewhere or something. May family doctor is an Internal Medicine doctor in Seneca. I've seen him more than 20 years and never changed even though my health insurance through GHS does not cover. Is a referral required to see a Neurologist? Do you even think I should see a Neurologist?
Thank you,
Concerned patient, Johnette Crocker
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  vakularen replied 2 years ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Have you discussed this with your doctor?Has he examined you in reference with this complaint?Your complaints definitely need to be looked into,initially by your Physician and if required by a Neurologist.You may need investigations like EMG,CT/MRI scan of the brain or spine apart from other investigations for Vitamin B12 and folate levels,thyroid profile,liver and kidney function tests. Specialised tests like small fibre biopsy(skin biopsy) to rule out small fibre neuropathy may be needed since such symptoms can arise from a whole lot of problems. Increased stress and anxiety levels may also cause such symptoms.It would be prudent to discuss this with your PCP and physician.If you need further clarification ,please do let me know.