Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

How to treat trigeminal neuralgia for elderly

Customer Question

Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My mother has seen Dentists, Mouth specialist (Professor) & unable to help except the medications she has taken
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi Vera, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.
I see that your Mother has tried various meds & acupressure etc for getting relief from trigeminal neuralgia pain but unfortunately nothing seems to be helping her. What I will do is try to provide you guys with some additional treatment recommendations to consider and these are proven to be effective in treating trigeminal neuralgia pain.
This is the list of various additional treatments options to consider;
A) Therapeutic ultrasound (portable ultrasound therapy);
This is the web site link for this mode of treatment;
http://www.nanovibronix.com/treatment-for-trigeminal-neuralgia-pain
B) Percutaneous minor-surgical procedures of the trigeminal nerve including;
Glycerol injection
Radiofrequency trigeminal rhizotomy
RF treatment of the Gasserian ganglion of the trigeminal nerve etc
C) Microvascular decompressive surgery of the trigeminal nerve
D) Gamma knife radiotherapy of the trigeminal nerve etc
Considering her age you guys may probably start with the option #1 mentioned above - which is the portable ultrasound therapy which is the safest and a non-surgical mode of treatment to treat her severe trigeminal neuralgia pain. Considering that this is a non-medication treatment there are no medication related side effects too.
Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor