How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 18458
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Starting a couple days ago, I've had a pretty constant pain

Customer Question

Starting a couple days ago, I've had a pretty constant pain in my right foot arch, toward the bottom of the foot. It almost completely goes away once I sit down/take weight off of the foot, but every step the pain gets more intense. If I've rested a while, I can take several steps without pain, but eventually it starts to build up.
I also noticed a slight grinding or creaking sound in the arch area the more weight I put on the foot. I'm pretty active, and either run or play ultimate frisbee 2-3 times a week.
I've already scheduled an appointment with a podiatrist. Before that point, any ideas what the diagnosis might be? Temporary relief?
Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The most common cause of pain in the arch would be from musculoskeletal inflammation. The exact condition would depend upon the location of the inflammation. A common condition is inflammation of a fibrous layer along the bottom of the foot, called plantar fasciitis. It is also possible to get inflammation along a tendon, called tendinitis.
There are a couple of home interventions that can be considered. It would be appropriate to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also can help to place an orthotic in the shoes, particularly during significant exertion. The Podiatrist may choose an individualized orthotic, but a generic orthotic, such as heel cups can be helpful for many people, such as at
I was suffering from plantar fasciitis, which was primarily bothersome when playing racquetball, and the heel cups eased the pain when anti-inflammatory medicines only provided modest benefit.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.