Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

PLEASE HELP! Re: Male, Age 78. In relatively good health.

Customer Question

PLEASE HELP! Re: Male, Age 78. In relatively good health. Very active. Has hypertension well controlled on Aceon 4 mg. bid and has scoliosis. On June 25, my husband asked that I check the back of his left knee as it was painful. It was a horrible site:
one huge obviously infected bullseye within another bullseye. Went to ER. Dx with cellulitis and given Keflex. Well healed. and yet the question remained of possible Lyme since he told me that he had been bitten in the early part of June possibly by a tick
as he was doing a lot of work in the woods. Another visit to ER and another Doctor prescribed Doxycycline Hyclate bid prophylactically. However, my has been reluctant to take the Doxy as he fears tummy problems. (I did get a yeast based probiotic in addition).
The Doxy still sits unused. On July 6, when he awoke in the AM, complained of terrible left shoulder and neck pain. Doctor diagnosed muscular spasm/strain. Ordered PT/ ibuprophen 800 tid/ heat/ Medrol dosepak. Upon beginning the Medrol, patient developed hiccups
which have persisted constantly for the last FOUR days. Several hours in the ER last night revealed nothing. I should add that now patient complains of pain up and down spinal cord and has had attacks of debilitating discomfort in which he cannot get his breath.
He feels that this is neurologically related. I need to tell you that he is a stoic person and so, we can assume that the situation is worse that he lets on. I have never seen him in such a state in 20 years. I anxiously await your reply. One more thing. He
has had no steady fever but at times, appears a bit flushed and a little sweaty.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
do you take any medicines
just click reply
any other medical issues?