Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

My mother had a stroke on Mothers day. She was able to talk

Customer Question
and walk, but had some...
My mother had a stroke on Mothers day. She was able to talk and walk, but had some weakness on left side. They first told us the damage was on the front right side of her brain. After more testing they said there was evidence of smaller previous strokes.
I took her to a neurologist several weeks later and was told that all the strokes happened at one time and was caused by A-fib. She came home for about a week and had to go into sub-acute rehab, because I wasn't able to care for her on my own. She seems like
she is steadily declining, both mentally and physically. The only thing that isn't declining is her appetite. I think she eats more than she ever did and she was a good cook. She complains about how bad the food tastes, but eats every bite. She is almost 90.
Is it common for dementia to rapidly increase after have a stroke that wasn't that severe? When I saw the neurologist she said it could take up to a year to heal.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
7/12/2015
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
what meds does she take?
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)