Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I'm on lamotrigene and cymbalta for a time. I have GI upset

Customer Question

I'm on lamotrigene and cymbalta for a long time. I have GI upset today with nausea and mild diarrhea. Is zofran safe to take
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for the question and sorry I could not reply earlier since I was assisting another patient.
Coming to the discussion;
I see that you are on Lamotrigine and Cymbalta. Lamotrigine is fine with almost any antinausea medications including Zofran but the problem is with Cymbalta. Cymbalta is a med that acts through serotonin neurotransmitter and unfortunately most of the anti-nausea meds also act through serotonin. If 2 drugs both of them act through the serotonin system like Cymbalta and Zofran are used together then a serious drug interaction called as “Serotonin syndrome” can take place. This syndrome is very rare but if it occurs it can be very dangerous including it can be rarely life threatening too, so most of the anti-nausea meds including Zofran etc cannot be safely used if you are also using Cymbalta.
But luckily Cymbalta can be used with an effective anti nausea med like Tigan (Trimethobenzamide). This anti-nausea med is safe to be used along with Cymbalta and it does not cause serotonin syndrome or any other serious drug interaction with Cymbalta. It is fine to be taken along with Lamotrigine too. So you may try Tigan instead of Zofran. Tigan comes as 300 mg capsules and it is usually taken 2 to 4 times per day.
Please let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor