Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I've been trying to find out if lypomas hurt? I have seen my

Customer Question

Hi. I've been trying to find out if lypomas hurt?
I have seen my gp and he thinks I have one. I'm in quite a bit of pain with it now.
It is my lower back and now whole right to left of my back feels painful. (Not to touch)
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It did appear to be getting better and less painful but the pain has come back today. Morning is especially painful.
I have heard the sometimes they can lean on nerves and cause pain
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi, this is Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience. The Expert to whom this question was originally addressed is not available now so the company has made this question available to other experts too and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
Coming to the discussion;
Lipomas are usually not painful, however they can cause pain if they press the nearby nerve or if they contain lots of blood vessels.
I see that the pain is coming back in your case inspite of taking pain pills like codeine, ibuprofen and paracetamol. What you may try to do is add one of the nerve-pain pills like Gabapentin or Pregabalin or Amitriptyline. If these meds also do not help sufficiently then you may need surgical removal of the painful lipoma.
And also you may ask your doctors to make sure there are no other spinal problems causing this pain, for example disc problems or arthritis etc in the spine causing pinched spinal nerve too can cause this type of pain. Your clinic doctors can explore this possibility by conducting a thorough clinical examination and also arranging certain relevant investigations like an MRI scan of the spine etc (if not done already) then treated accordingly depending upon the mri result.
Once again to summarize; yes, lipomas can hurt and it happens as you also put it correctly when the lipomas lean on to a nearby nerve, and also it can cause pain if it contains lot of blood vessels, and since your current meds are not helping you may try to take one of the nerve-pain pills mentioned above, and also if spinal problems like disc or arthritis etc are not already ruled out then you may ask your doctors to evaluate clinically and also with an mri scan of the lower back/spine.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor
Hi, I see that you have not rated my answer; please let me know whether it is because you are facing some technical glitches preventing you from rating or it is because you are not satisfied with my answer. If you are facing any technical glitches then I can contact the company and let them know about it, on the otherhand if you are not happy with my answer & if you are having further questions or seeking further clarifications then we can discuss this further until you are satisfied with all your health concerns.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor