Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a popping and clicking in my thumb when I bend it also

Customer Question

I have a popping and clicking in my thumb when I bend it also as the above person. It is painful in the joint itself actually both joints of the thumb. it has been this way for several months now. I had carpal tunnel surgery in the same hand 6 months ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The popping, clicking and pain that you describe are indicative of inflammation in the joints of the thumb. This is most often a degenerative arthritis, although other types of arthritis are also possible.
In general, if an anti-inflammatory medicine eases the symptoms, then no further evaluation or treatment is necessary. There are a couple anti-inflammatory medicines available over the counter, ibuprofen and naproxen, although a higher dose may be necessary, up to 2400 mg per day of ibuprofen or 1500 mg per day of naproxen, both in divided doses.
If an anti-inflammatory medicine does not ease symptoms, then it would be appropriate to be seen by your doctor.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.