How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 55485
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

60 y.o. male, having dizziness that comes and goes. Has

Customer Question

60 y.o. male, having dizziness that comes and goes. Has complained of intermittent headaches located either around his left side forehead or base of his neck. Has complained of numbness in his hands for 7 years. Usually the numbness occurs while laying
down. The headaches come 2-3 times a month and the dizziness has just began to occur, this being the 3rd time he has complained of dizziness, in the past 6 months. Other complaints have been excessive tiredness, lack of energy and ED. He also suffers from
extreme Eczema on his lower legs (since his early 30's), has been successfully treated with prednisone, (last of 2 rounds, within a year, was March 2015.) A daily treatment of l Clobasol Propionate Ointment, 0.05%, is the only medications he is on at this
time. He was hospitalized 4 times since acquiring eczema, for cellulitis, once having a 10 day intervenous dose of antibiotics after being released from a 6 day stay in hospital. History: BP is normal, Cholesterol is normal, last physical was 2 years ago,
before a total left hip arthroplasty. His heart was healthy at that time. The numbness in his hands started approximately 12 years ago. PT raced motorcycles for 30 years with a minimum of 7 concussions, during that time. He has broken too many bones to list.
He now suffers from degenerative joint disease. He showed signs of ADHD as a child, (dx for ADHD did not exist then), and had symptoms until his early to mid 50's. Other than the above he has been a healthy, active person. He works a job that requires physical
fitness and will work circles around his younger apprentices. But he suffers after a physically challenging day at work. Yesterday, he was taken off the job because of the dizziness he was experiencing and was not allowed to leave for home for several hours.
He was dx'ed by a non health care professional as having heat exhausting. His blood pressure was 145/90 and HR was slightly elevated. BP is normal now and resting heart rate is 55. My questions are, What type of physician should he start with, to get a dx?.
What type of tests should he expect to have for these symptoms, and what would your treatment look like, knowing the small bit of information presented to you here?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
any family history of anything like this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
None. The only on family history is the eczema.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
He absolutely needs to see an internist to start
An internist is the best at figuring out tough problems and getting him to the right specialist if needed
I would do an MRI of the brain and a heart workup to start