Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Feb. 2013, I developed numbness of my rt sole, and the rt lower

Customer Question

Feb. 2013, I developed numbness of my rt sole, and the rt lower leg. The next day, the numbness resolved. The numbness of my rt sole persisted, but was less intense. At some point, developed burning sensation on the sole of the left foot and on the left lateral lower leg up to just below the knee. The weakness in my legs got progressively worse. I got to the point where I could not walk due to the leg weakness.
I initially consulted with a neurologist when I first began having problems with my legs. Dr. Novum told me that nothing was wrong just based on his exam. After my leg weakness and numbness got so bad, sought out a second opinion. An MRI was performed. There were degenerative changes.
I can see that I am losing muscle mass in my lower legs and have significant numbness
of the lower legs. What do you advise?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Do you have the full report of the MRI including what manifestation of degenerative changes were present?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Had MVA in 2006. MRI showed disc space narrowing most pronounced at L3-L4 and L5-S1No compression deformities. Mild disk bulge at L3-4 level. Mild diffuse disc bulge with hypertrophic facet changes but without significant canal or foraminal encroachment. Left lateral osteophyte complex is noted at the L5-S1 level. I developed circumfrential numbness of my upper thigh and had numbness of my right lower leg.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had an MRI of the lumber spine when I developed reccurent numbness in my legs and feet. My legs were so weak that I could not walk at one point. I weight train and have danced in a local ballet company when I was younger. I am 62 now.
Thank you for the additional information.
There is greater concern about the weakness and loss of muscle mass than the numbness and the burning sensation. There certainly should be treatment for the numbness and burning sensation, but the weakness and loss of muscle mass usually indicates a more urgent situation.
Weakness and loss of muscle mass could be related to pressure on a nerve from degenerative changes in the spine. The MRI will usually guide the next step, although review of the images can provide further information.
The usual next consideration would be an injection of steroids into the spine, so it would be appropriate to be seen by an Interventional Pain Management Specialist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I had an MRI and saw a neurologist after my leg weakness and numbness got worse. That MRI was essentially unchanged from the MRI I had after my car accident in 2006. The neurologist said that I had a peroneal nerve neuropathy. What do you suspect if spinal pathology has been ruled out by MRIs? I do not believe that my neurologist is correct.
If he thought you had a peroneal neuropathy, it is not clear why the only test that he did was a lumbar MRI. When a lumbar MRI is done, that would suggest that there is concern that the pressure on the nerve is arising in the lumbar spine, and a problem in the spine also can affect both legs.
If there is evidence of a peroneal neuropathy, then it also would be appropriate to perform studies to assess the peripheral nerves, such as a nerve conduction studies or electromyograph (EMG).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I had NCS right after my MVA in 2006. I don't recall there being any major deficits in my spine. I had sensory and motor deficits in the left hand. This UCLA neurologist thought I may have a polyneuropathy from Multiple Sclerosis. I will schedule another appointment most likely at Cedars or UCLA.
That would be a good plan. Actually, having an old nerve conduction study for comparison may help if there are subtle changes that have developed along with these symptoms since Feb 2013.