Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My otherwise healthy, strong 21 yr. old son has had 2 seizures

Customer Question

my otherwise healthy, strong 21 yr. old son has had 2 seizures over 30 days where he does not lose consciousness but is fatigued afterwards. His MRI results came today: he has some fluid in his "skull" as well as swelling in his lymph nodes throughout his body. the dr. said it wasn't a tumor and not serious/life threatening but should see a neurosurgeon. this does not make sense to me - no named condition. please tell me what you can with this information.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
The exact cause of the seizures seem to remain uncertain here. I think it sounds that he needs further follow up with a neurologist as next step. He seems to need a spinal tap and testing of the opening pressure of the cerebrospinal fluid. If he has too high of pressure of the cerebrospinal fluid then that may cause a condition called pseudotumor cerebri. That is more often treated medically with a diuretic though.
Certain conditions may call for need for a shunt. I can't imagine that not being discussed with you however.
Atypical infections may need to be ruled out. Some infections could cause inflammation of the brain and could be a cause of seizures
The diffuse enlarged lymph nodes may be associated with certain infections or blood disorders. He may warrant more testing it is sounding more to me...
A PET scan of the brain might be a consideration for certain type problems..( that test identifies areas of increased metabolic activity...)
I hope that this information is helpful.I wish that I could give you a more specific answer to your question. Of you have further questions or discussion then I will be happy to get back with you!
If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback!
Thank you and Best Regards!
Anthony Bray MD