Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I've had DVT symptoms for 2 years and have never been to the…

Customer Question
I've had DVT symptoms for...
I've had DVT symptoms for 2 years and have never been to the doctor. Could DVT last that long untreated?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/16/2015
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Hi, I am Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
Could you tell me what are the DVT symptoms you are having?
I have pain in the hip, knee, calf, and heel. Feels llike burning/aching. Comes and goes on and off for two years. Not much swelling or discoloration. I little itchy sometimes. I'm 34 and had a neck injury when I was 16 and dont have good skin sensation in that leg but I can still feel the pain. Also I sit a lot at a desk throughout the day. So pretty much the symptoms are pain in my left leg for 2 years off and on from hip to heel
Thanks for all these additional information. I am typing the answer now and I will post it here at the earliest.
Okay I am ready and I am posting my answer here.
DVT typically causes prominent swelling and skin discoloration too but in your case these symptoms do not seem to be prominent and this hints that dvt is very unlikely in you. And if the pain comes and goes then this pattern also suggests that dvt is very unlikely. Pain due to dvt is expected to occur constantly, the intensity of the pain may vary at different times but almost always there should be some pain. But since this pain comes and goes so dvt is very unlikely in your case. Also if it were dvt then without treatment it would have worsened and produced various other health complications by this time, so this point also strongly hints that dvt is very unlikely in you.
If you are very much concerned about dvt and you just cannot get rid of this possibility from your mind then you may ask your doctors to order an Ultrasound test of the leg and this test will easily explore the possibility of dvt, however I strongly feel dvt is unlikely in you and accordingly you do not need any dvt related investigations too for the same reason.
If you have not seen a neurologist then you may see one now so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination and after that the neurologist may perform an EMG/Nerve conduction test too – which is a nerve and muscle test and this can help in exploring any neurological explanation for these annoying leg symptoms and then depending upon the final diagnosis it will be treated appropriately, and in the meantime you may try nerve-pain pills like Pregabalin or Amitriptyline etc which can help for the pain, burning & aching symptoms you are having.
And I once again reassure you a DVT appears very unlikely in your case for the various reasons discussed earlier above.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor
Hi, I see that you have not rated my answer; is it because you are facing some technical glitches preventing you from rating or is it because you are unhappy & dissatisfied with my answer? If you are unhappy & dissatisfied with my answer and if you are having further questions or seeking further clarifications please let me know and we can discuss this further until you are happy & satisfied with all your health concerns.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)