Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a vp shunt for nph, number was readjusted to 1.0 last…

Customer Question
I have a vp shunt...
I have a vp shunt for nph, number was readjusted to 1.0 last September, everything improved , last scan showed slight water buildup but still okay. Doctor wants to wait a couple of months to see if it corrects itself, what can it be nothing, or something
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/15/2015
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 3 years ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Hi, I am Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
What is most important is how you are overall feeling, if you are overall feeling good then this slight build up of water in the brain ventricles is not to be worried. This slight excess water should gradually get drained by the shunt and prevent from any neurological complication developing.
Once again I am reassuring you - as long as you are symptomatically feeling good then there is nothing to worry. On the otherhand if you are having increasing symptoms – for example increasing gait/walking problems, increasing bladder disturbances, increasing memory issues/ confusion or increasing headache etc then you need to see your doctors sooner and also try to get a follow up brain scan sooner, on the otherhand if you continue to remain feeling good then there is really nothing to be worried about this finding of slight water build up in the recent scan and this can normalize by itself with the continued drainage through the shunt and accordingly there should not be any untoward health consequences happening in the future.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor
Hi, I see that you have not rated my answer; is it because you are facing some technical glitches preventing you from rating or is it because you are unhappy & dissatisfied with my answer? If you are unhappy & dissatisfied with my answer and if you are having further questions or seeking further clarifications please let me know and we can discuss this further until you are happy & satisfied with all your health concerns.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor