How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Subbanna MD Your Own Question
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 5472
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr Subbanna MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 41 and I had a MRI done on my spine (cervical) 11/20/14

Customer Question

I am 41 and I had a MRI done on my spine (cervical) 11/20/14 the impression was : C5-6 mild right posterior osteophyte /disk complex noted , C6-7 level a small posterior central disk protrusion is noted, no significant central or formal stenosis identified. My current symptoms are numbness and tingling in right arm, hands , feet and burning aching feeling in my shoulders and neck, and headaches in the back of my head.I have had moments of incontience and trouble walking and standing... I do have osteoarthritis on my knees and hip as well as lupus ... My question do I see my neurologist or rhuematologist or do I see both?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
Your new symptoms are neurological in nature so initially you may see your neurologist. There are few different neurological possibilities to explain your new symptoms which include;
a) Worsening of the already existing spinal condition
b) Developing Neuropathy (peripheral nerve injury)
c) Unusual possibility of developing some brain condition (to explain the headache, however this headache may be coming from the spine too)
The neurologist will conduct a thorough neurological examination followed by arranging certain relevant investigations that may include an MRI scan of the brain, a repeat MRI scan of the spine, and a nerve and muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test and these tests should help in telling where exactly is the lesion or what exactly is causing your new symptoms. Once this has been established then the next step is to find out what is the underlying primary cause for your new neurological condition, for example could it be due to lupus? or could it be due to other causes? etc. If it turns out lupus is the culprit for your new neurological condition then you may also follow up with your rheumatologist too so that it can be treated appropriately, on the otherhand if the cause is identified as something unrelated to the lupus then the neurologist will only manage this.
Once again to your main question, you may start with seeing your neurologist and later if necessary then you may follow up with your rheumatologist too as discussed above.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I see that you have not rated my answer; is it because you are facing some technical glitches preventing you from rating or is it because you are unhappy & dissatisfied with my answer? If you are unhappy & dissatisfied with my answer and if you are having further questions or seeking further clarifications please let me know and we can discuss this further until you are happy & satisfied with all your health concerns.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor