Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I know that NF (neurofibromatosis) is not directly related…

Customer Question
I know that NF (neurofibromatosis)...
I know that NF (neurofibromatosis) is not directly related to T1DM
But I do understand that NF can have an affect with virtually every system in the anatomy.
With that in mind couldn't NF cause trouble with the endocrine system or more of the point cause problems with the pancreas and render an NF patient diabetic.
I know I could be reaching with this idea but as a person with NF and with my somewhat sedentary occupation of truck driving would it seem over cautious to keep tabs on my blood glucose levels?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/12/2015
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Hi, I am Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
I had answered a similar question to you in the past too and I want to reiterate that diabetes mellitus due to NF (Neurofibromatosis) is extremely extremely rare, in fact so far there are only finger countable number of cases of this nature (to be precise only about 2 cases of diabetes in association with NF). Just 2 cases of diabetes is too infrequent to attribute these cases to the NF itself, and it could be just coincidence too.
However I see that you are having relatively sedentary occupation which is a risk for diabetes so I totally agree with you that it is better to take precautionary measures now itself which includes diet control (low calorie diet), exercises, weight control etc and these measures should help.
I want to once again reassure you that the association of diabetes with NF is such a rare one and it can be considered as an out of the box association, and these rare occurrences may also be considered as mere coincidence too. However in view of the sedentary type of occupation in your case you may try to adopt a very healthy life style as discussed above (which includes diet control, weight control, exercises etc) and also try to get a yearly blood tests to check the following a) fasting blood glucose, b) 2 hour post prandial blood glucose and c) HbA1c tests; and these 3 blood tests are the standard blood tests to rule out development of diabetes mellitus.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)