Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been suffering from leg and foot cramps for as as I…

Customer Question
hi I have been suffering...
hi I have been suffering from leg and foot cramps for as long as I can remember. They have increased to neck, stomach, fingers, upper legs front and back, lower legs, and feet. They have be come unbareable. I increased my magnisum, potassium, vitamins, any and every thing people have suggested. They are getting so much worse. I've checked with my Dr and hes done nothing. I get to the point I cant handle it anylonger. The stomach cramps make me nausious, if I sit for any length of time I get up and can hardly walk, they hurt so bad. I have put heating pads on and that helps for a while. I get them when I try to sleep, during the day. any thing I do if I turn wrong or bend down I get cramps. Please help
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/11/2015
Neurologist: Dr Basu, Board Certified MD replied 3 years ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Board Certified MD
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
There are few possibilities for bilateral leg and foot cramps.
1. Peripheral neuropathy: this mean the nerves supplying the calf muscles are getting damaged. Lower spine herniated disc, vitamin B12 deficiency, metabolic disorder, autoimmune disorder are some of the causes.
2. Peripheral vascular disease-- this refers to the blockage of the arteries supplying your calf muscle. The stopping distance is known as intermittent claudication.
Atherosclerosis, arterial spasm, pressure on the artery from outside ar some of the causes.
3. Blood clots or DVT-- unlikely but still a possibility.
Hence, you need to get following studies done for further evaluation:
Peripheral vascular study, ABI index, doppler venous ultrasound, MRI scan of the lower spine, EMG and nerve conduction study of the lower leg nerves.
Blood tests should include: sed rate, CRP, ANA titer, ANCAs, B12 level, vit D level.
Specialist to consult with: Neurologist; vascular surgeon.
Treatment depends on underlying cause.
Symptomatically a muscle relaxant like Flexeril may be tried for now.
Other medications that may help are:
Diltiazem 30 to 60 mg daily at night time.
Gabapentin 100 to 300 mg daily at bedtime.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****