Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

The veins in the back of my knees hurt a lot

Customer Question

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your question.
Since when do you have this symptom? Are the vein in your legs prominent? What is your weight and height?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am 5' 4" and I weigh 143-145lbs. I have had varicose veins all my life. I do a lot of standing but they never hurt until within the last year and a half. I was advised to wear support stockings and that is what I have been doing. I exercise practically 6 days a wee on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I breathe and stretch for 10-15 minutes 7 days a week. This pain ahs been on and off but in the last two weeks it seems consistent.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The veins at the back of my legs are not loudly visible only if you look closely.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your reply.
Basically you have been doing all the right things. Exercising, not wearing tight clothes, elevating your legs, and avoiding long periods of standing or sitting is helpful in relieving the pain and preventing the varicose veins from getting worse.
Also the pain is usually worse during warm weather or if you've been standing up for long periods of time. It may improve when you walk around or if you rest and by raising your legs. Pillows assist in raising your legs comfortably.
Wearing compression stockings all day is the next step to try if not responding to the above measures. These steadily squeeze your legs,and help the veins and leg muscles move blood more efficiently.
However if the situation is still not getting better despite all of these measures and you are having continuous pain, then you need to have specific varicose vein surgery done. To ease the pain is one of the indication for the surgery. Please consult a vascular specialist (a doctor who is a specialist in veins) and he/she will advise you about the most suitable form of procedure for you.
Also your doctor needs to rule out a blood clot which may occur if there is any sudden leg swelling. Also if a blood clot is present the veins may be prominent.
However in your case this seems to be gradual worsening of the varicose veins and this will be resolved by specific treatment.
Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
You are welcome.
Please rate the answer.
Thanks.