Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter is 13 years old. She has had headaches of and…

Customer Question
My daughter is 13 years...
My daughter is 13 years old. She has had headaches of and off since maybe 5-6 years old. They are more frequent now and mostly on one side of forehead with occasionally across the forehead, tylenol and advil are not helping much. She also started complaining about two years ago about seeing blacks spots or curtain like vision lasting few seconds on occasion. She wears glasses, her last eye exam few weeks ago was normal. They said she needed to drink more and use her Ipad less. She went to her Primary care MD this month and she stated normal with migraines. I have appt with neurologist next week however I am freaking out. There is no real pattern to her headaches on timing. She does get sensitive to light but her seeing black spots don't appear to happen with headache. She is not really able to describe pain, states sometimes it is band like,other times throbbing, or ache. Could this be migraines as I have history of migraines and tension headaches or does it seem more like it could be brain tumor
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/10/2015
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 3 years ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Hi, I am Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
The description of her headache and the associated symptoms she is having including the visual symptoms etc are suspicious for a combination of migraine headache along with some tension headache too. There are several reasons why I am suspecting migraine + tension headache rather than anything serious like a brain tumor etc in her case. First of all she has a family history of migraine + tension headache and kids with their parents having these type of headaches have a higher tendency to develop these headaches. The pattern of her headache also favors for migraine + tension headache rather than brain tumor, for example she gets band like headache this is more in favor of tension headache whereas the throbbing type more in favor of migraine type headache. Sensitivity to light is more in favor of migraine headache. The visual symptoms like seeing black spots are in favor of migraine, in migraine patients certain visual symptoms may occur when they do not have headache too – as in her case this happens (seeing black spots without headache). And importantly she is having headache since age around 5 – 6 years also points that this is less likely from brain tumor, because if it were brain tumor then by this time it would have manifested with various neurological manifestations like seizures, muscle paralysis, passing out etc which I assume she is not having because you have not mentioned these symptoms above. I agree she is having headache more frequently now but that happens too often with migraine and tension headaches too and the worsening of the headaches frequency itself alone cannot be attributed to any brain tumor, especially considering she does not seem to have any neurological manifestations I mentioned above (like seizures, paralysis, passing out etc).
Seeing the neurologist is the correct thing to do now so that she will receive a thorough neurological examination and also she needs a brain scan like MRI scan of the brain, but I strongly reassure you it really does not look like she is having any brain tumor for the various reasons discussed above. In the meantime for obtaining relief from this headache she may try one of the preventive meds like Amitriptyline or Sodium Valproate or Pregabalin or Tizanidine etc which can help for both the migraine and tension type headaches.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor