Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have had a constant feeling of pressure and tightness in

Customer Question

I have had a constant feeling of pressure and tightness in the back of my head and my neck for 3 and a half months with no break or relief along with always feeling dizzy and lightheaded. I have had a CT MRI and a lumbar puncture and all were normal. OTC
medicine does not really work at all. It is affecting my everyday life because I do not want to do anything feeling like this. What could this be? Chronic tension headache? I am seeing a neurologist tomorrow but wanted another opinion.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.
Yes it sounds to me that main problem is chronic tension headache.
I would recommend combination of anti-inflammatory (Aleve 2 tabs twice a day with food) PLUS a muscle relaxant that may be prescribed for you (Skelaxin, Flexeril, Soma are options)
Look at ergonomics such as what you do during day...your head and neck position may be related to cause such as sitting at computer for hours...
Sleep position may be helped to try cervical support pillow at night..
With light headed feeling I would check several sets of blood pressure readings...seated after 10 minutes rest ...normal range is 100 to 135/ 60 to 85...
Low blood pressure might account for you feeling light headed...your doctor may check orthostatic vital signs too...(laying, seated , standing)
I hope that this information is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My symptoms have actually gotten worse since the lumbar puncture I had it seems like. However my symptoms aren't really relieved when I lay down everything just feels different.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a temperature though so I don't believe it is infection but im not sure.
Hello again,
Well I'm not sure that I would have advised a lumbar puncture for you as that itself is fairly invasive and may cause side effects...
I think that you may improve within few days from symptoms due to the lumbar puncture.
I would advise the blood pressure checks including orthostatic vitals...
Ask neurologist about the muscle relaxant PLUS NSAID I would advise for the headaches...
Let me know if you have further questions.
Best Regards--
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I feel a lot more lightheaded and dizzy. Is this normal after having one done?
Hello again,
Yes after a lumbar puncture you may have headache, nausea or dizziness as side effects of the procedure. That is common but these should not be long lasting if a problem...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had my lumbar puncture done last tues and symptoms started thurs when will it go away? Or should it I feel terrible
Hello again,
Typically I would expect you to be feeling improved from last Tuesday... now on occasion I have seen patients have some trouble with longer term headaches mainly but most typically a few days would allow for recovery.. if you do not see gradual improvement during this week then notify your neurologist that you are having trouble...
You should not feel terrible this many days out
I hope that this is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions. I hope that that you feel better soon! Let me know if I may be of further help!
Take Care,
Anthony Bray MD