Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Why do i get cramps in my lower legs at night? i am 66yrs…

Customer Question
why do i get cramps...
why do i get cramps in my lower legs at night? i am 66yrs old.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Neurology
6/4/2015
Neurologist: Dr. SH, Physician replied 3 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
The first thing that I would like to do in your case is to have your electrolytes checked i.e. sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium levels.
I would also like that you should have your liver function and kidney function done as well.
Calcium, magnesium supplements may help with your cramps which is what I would recommend.
If all the tests come back normal, then you are most likely having what is called as nocturnal leg cramps.
This is often relieved by taking tonic water which is available in all the stores.
Here is an article that you can read about nocturnal leg cramps:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/night-leg-cramps/basics/definition/sym-20050813
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Kind regards
This session is open for any number of further questions or comments.
It is only when you rate me positive is when I am credited by the website for helping you out.
I would therefore appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Kind regards