Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have body wide twitches, occasional cramping. The twitches

Customer Question

I have body wide twitches, occasional cramping. The twitches don't last long but it's been going on for months. They seem to happen more when I'm laying down/inactive. I've taken magnesium supplements and eat bananas. I work out, play golf, and work 12 hr shifts. No pain really, scared of ALS. It will be tricep, then thigh, then elbow, then neck, then calf, then forearm, etc. Not long lasting, but annoying and uncomfortable. Usually goes away when I move my arm if my arm is twitching. Don't know what it could be.

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
do you take any meds?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No medicine

do you feel it a lot at night trying to sleep?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You could say that

Okay. This is most likely PLMD. Periodic limb movement disorder. This is very common in young people that are really physically active like you. It is, for lack of a better description, from over use of muscles. It can also sometimes be iron deficiency so you need your iron checked.This condition is very common and ALS is very rare. Plus, if you were at that stage of ALS to have diffuse twitches you would have other symptoms like weakness
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What am I supposed to do of its plmd? Should I see a neurologist just in case?

Yes, that is a good idea. Just to be sure. Also the neurologist can treat PLMD with a low dose mirapex or requip. It will help a lot
I'm happy to help you today. I hope I provided you with good service. Please rate positively for me if I did. I appreciate it and that is how we are credited for our workIf you have more questions or need clarification, please reply. I'm more than happy to help further
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just want to make sure I'm clear, my limbs aren't like jerking or anything. I can just see muscles twitching under my skin. I doby shake or anything. My legs don't move it's just a little muscle

yes, that is consistent with PLMD. I'm quite sure of it.See the neurologist to give you peace of mind but I think you are ok
I noticed that our chat is not complete.
My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I saw a neurologist and he didn't really say much, just had blood work done. And now my left foot has had a tingling sensation for the past week and this is really frustrating. I don't know what to do

Ask your primary doctor to see if you hav PLMD