Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had nerve weakness of hands and feet, loose stools,

Customer Question
weak grip as well as...
I have had nerve weakness of hands and feet, loose stools, weak grip as well as tiredness and fatigue for a couple of months since my neighbor burned wood and probably chemical/ propllent a couple of months ago, though I am not sure what chemicals were
burned,the odor was eventually chemical like (kind of sweet smelling). Is an environmental toxicologist the best specialist to handle this? What are the names of the types of medical doctor specialties handle this kind of matter? And what should my house be
tested (what might be names of test and items to test for) for as in one smoke/chemical affected room whenever I enter it I feel within minutes weak grip and tiredness.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
5/31/2015
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

do you take any meds?

Just one - an anti-anxiety which deals with the symptoms of the above. I also note that the same grip loss issue is not limited to the living room - I experienced that issue when at an auto parts store which carried a strong chemical odor.
do you feel that this is all anxiety related?
No. I have read many complaints written by patients and others who report that their doctors, who lack the capacity to diagnose adequately my kind of issue, will simply steer the matter into anxiety as a cause.How does anxiety explain the fact that I only experience this issue only when strong chemical odors (of all kinds) are present? For example, when I had to get out of my car in the middle of a car wash (car wash was not working properly) I noticed that the car wash soap was still unrinsed from my car. I did not even think of there being a chemical issue until about a minute or less later I felt pressure in my brain and eventually a headache and loss of grip, even though a car wash is not at all for me anxiety provoking in the least ever.
no, I do not believe that this is at all anxiety related.I believe that it is possible that this is due to a weakened immune system and weakened adrenals, which are producing neurological symptoms. I am not in the least anxious about chemical odors, period.
I will opt out for another expert
Neurologist: DrRussMd, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD
Hello
In fact those with chemical sensitivity are not served well by conventional medicine.
The problem generally would lie in your ability to biotransform and eliminate toxins.
This ability can be measured.
MDs and DOs trained to do this can be found on a list on this web site.
www.functionalmedicine.org
see the find a practitionerlist, upper right of the first page.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Thanks. Is there such a medical specialty as Environmental Toxicology - the study of toxic environmental factors effect on adrenals/nervous system?
but not clinical doctor to treat you
There are doctors who study clinical toxicology and environmental toxicology, who also treat patients, and I gave you a reference to find those doctors, one group, they all have training specifically in this.Get one who is certified in functional medicine. They use this extensively.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Thanks. Do you know what is the name of the type of doctor who studies clinical toxicology and environmental toxicology, who also treats patients? For example, the name of the doctor who studies orthopaedics and treats patients is "orthopedist", as an example, and thusly I wonder what is the name of the doctor who studies clinical toxicology and environmental toxicology, who also treats patients.
Functional medicine doctor, as I have given you above.
Or, clinical toxicologist....not easily found.
Please click a positive rating.
DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD