Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

It's a story - medicine uk style! Two years ago, after

Customer Question
It's a long story -...
It's a long story - medicine uk style! Two years ago, after complaining of hip and back pain, I was referred by my GP to a hip surgeon, X-rays were were taken and I had to agree that the hip didn't look that bad. (I' a retired radiographer). So I was given a hip block which was successful for 5 days or so. At the same time my back pain increased and I had difficulty walking. A referral to a neurosurgeon and decompression at L3/4 followed. (This after a laminectommy at L4/5 40 yrs ago). The walking improved but the hip and back pain remained. Another referral to the orthopod, more X-rays and another hip block which lasted a week.
I am now at my wits end. I am pain free when sitting or lying down. I can stand for a few minutes and walk for 20-50 yds and acute pain develops inmy groin and down the adductor muscle which is relieved by sitting for 5 mins or more and then I can resume activity. I will not be seen for a follow up for 6 weeks (this is the nNHS).
If the X-ray appearance is normal (for my age 75yo) what can be causing the pain? It comes on so quickly and so severely that I am limited with my activities but even supermarket shopping is almost impossible.
I currently use amitriptylene and codeine with not much relief. What would you recommend to allow some reasonable level of activity while waiting for the NHS protocol to grind it's way along.
Much as there is good about the nHS, having worked for 20 yrs in Boston, I wish I was back there to get this sorted out.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/26/2015
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 3 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Any other medical issues
Only the usual on statins and cholesterol beatin drug and bisoprolol for atrial vent. Fib.
sounds like the hip is the issue but the xrays for some reason didn't elaborate fully on the extent of disease.
do you have any locking/giveway of the hip?