Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I hit my head 5 weeks ago on a pull down attic latter right…

Customer Question
I hit my head 5...
I hit my head 5 weeks ago on a pull down attic latter right above the temple area near eye and along temple area to above ear on the right side of my head. I never had it checked out. Yesterday, I went for an 11 mile hike. Ever since the hike, the artery/veins
in the temple area on the side where I hit my head have been prominent and I can see and feel it pulsating ( I see a white zig zag line in temple pulsating and a blue line). Is this something I should be concerned about? ( I also think I may be experiencing
some nearsightedness as well (things in distance are blurry) and dry eyes, but will see an eye doctor soon to get evaluated).
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Neurology
5/25/2015
Neurologist: Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD) replied 3 years ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
The blue structure could be an inflamed or dilated vein. Is it tender to touch?
No, it is not tender to the touch and it doesn't hurt in any way, nor do I have a headache.
Well the veins are quite distensible and often dilate when fluid status is high or arterial pressure is high. When this happens they often appear curved or twisted as well because they are thin walled compared to the arteries.
In other words, they bend or become "tortuous". When this happens, they become more visible (i.e. normally they are flat and straight). This can also happen after injury to the vein or its supporting structures such as the subcutaneous fat and soft tissues.
Is it something I should be worried about? My injury was five weeks ago and this just started after the hike yesterday. Can I continue working out?
It's probably not the remote injury unless there was bruising or a hematoma that has persisted. It's generally not considered worrisome unless the area is tender or there are severe headaches associated with it. The visual changes would be a possible concern if they were only on the affected side or there was actual visual loss to some degree.
Hi Leslie. Does this make sense? If you have been doing well up to now, I don't think this is related to your injury 5 weeks ago. And if there is no pain or headache you should be OK to resume working out. Having your eyes checked makes sense if the blurring is new. Having your GP examine you if any other news symptoms develop also makes sense. Otherwise, this is likely to be a temporary phenomenon. :-)
makes sense. Thank you :)
You're welcome. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.