Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I hurt my back somehow, bending over to pick up my puppy, I

Customer Question
have osteoporosis in my spine...
I hurt my back somehow, bending over to pick up my puppy, I have osteoporosis in my spine at -3.8, so they checked for a compression fracture with MRI today and did the upper area and lower because my entire back and neck were so stiff, the said both MRI's were normal. I came over still sore and the worst pain had come from my lower back across buttocks, the I went upstairs and suddenly started having pain in my left groin and down through thigh into new. I looked it up and it appears to be sciatic nerve, it runs there, and so called on call doctor who said that never could be agrivated with a low back strain. Does that seem right, the pain is terrible
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
5/22/2015
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Hi, I am Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience and I am very glad to help you with your health question.
Please see there are mainly 2 possibilities that can cause the type of new symptoms you are having where pain is radiating down to the leg through the buttock & groin, one possibility is pinched spinal nerve in the spine and the other possibility is sciatic nerve irritation. The pinched spinal nerve possibility appears less likely because your MRI of the spine has come normal so this makes the possibility of sciatic nerve irritation most likely in your case to explain your new painful condition.
The sciatic nerve irritation may be related to the back strain and this is known to occur in some patients.
Now coming to the management of this terrible pain due to sciatic nerve irritation - there are various treatment options available and what I will do is provide you below with a list of various treatment options and you may please consider trying one or more of these options.
This is the list of various pain treatment options;
Physical therapy
Anti-inflammatory pain meds like Tramadol or Diclofenac
Nerve-pain Pills like Gabapentin, or Amitriptyline
Muscle relaxants like Baclofen or Tizanidine
Narcotic pain killers like Lortab, or Percocet
Electrotherapies like TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) or Interferential therapy
Lidoderm anesthetic pain relieving skin patches
PRF (Pulsed Radio Frequency) treatment of sciatic nerve
Local infiltration of steroid with or without local anesthetic agent around the sciatic nerve
Infiltration of the pyriformis muscle directly with steroid
Botox injection to the pyriformis muscle etc
If you see any of the above treatments you have not already tried then you may please consider trying them to help in relieving this terrible pain. I am not telling all these above treatments are required in your case, I am just providing you with a list of several different treatment options that are available for your condition.
Please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor

Would then this calm down as my back strain getter better?

I mean is it temporary as it is happening with a lower back strain?

This type of nerve injuries are most often mild in nature, although mild injuries too can cause severe pain, but since this appears to be mild grade injury this type of injury is expected to heal by itself. As the back strain gets better parallely the nerve irritation too is expected to get better and along with the recovery from the back and nerve injuries the pain symptom too is expected to get better. However if the pain symptom is severe then you may also please consider trying one or more of the pain treatment options mentioned earlier, but one or otherway these conditions (back strain & nerve irritation) are temporary in nature and eventually expected to resolve with complete relief from these annoying symptoms.

so I guess what I am wondering is can the irritation of the nerve be cause by the back strain, and say saw a "true sciatica" in those that are chronic?

Whether the nerve injuries resolve or not mainly depends upon how severe the nerve injury is, in your case the sciatic nerve irritation appears secondary to the back strain and this type of nerve irritations are almost always mild in nature and so the complete recovery chances are extremely bright and the possibility of this becoming chronic is extremely low. True sciatica is the term used when the symptoms are produced by injury to the sciatic nerve spinal roots – which is usually caused by disc or arthritis in the spine etc – and this condition can be more chronic in nature because there is actual damage to the sciatic nerve roots, however even these true sciatica cases too may recover completely provided they are treated appropriately, one or otherway in your case it sounds like you are just having sciatic nerve irritation secondary to the back strain so this should resolve completely and accordingly this should not persist chronically.

Regarding the MRI if the sciatica were causes my disc or bony spine or true compression would that not show on MRI?

that is the precise reason we are not suspecting true sciatica in you because your mri is reported as essentially normal. Since the mri is normal so you are not having any true compression of the sciatic nerve or the sciatic nerve roots and this is a very good sign for full recovery.

last ??? could the nerve take longer than the back to resolve, like once I injured a nerve and it took 4 weeks to heal

To be honest with you it is not always easy to predict the exact duration required for recovery from nerve injuries but considering that your mri has been normal implying this is only a mild nerve injury so these type of nerve injuries are expected to heal very fast. Sorry once again it will be difficult to tell the exact duration for recovery from nerve injuries but the duration is generally around 4 to 6 weeks for majority of the patients especially considering this is only a mild injury, and the healing from this nerve injury should not take much longer than the healing time required for this back strain since this is only a mild grade nerve irritation/injury.
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)