Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

My husband was in a serious accident 6 1/2 years ago. He had

Customer Question

My husband was in a serious accident 6 1/2 years ago. He had multiple skull fractures including the temporal bone (R side), 2 cervical fractures, kneecap was broken in half are the highlights. In addition, it was noted in his files that there was blood behind his right ear. We were told that would reabsorb at the time and no one paid much attention to it. He has complained about hearing loss in his right ear, vertigo with head movements, tinnitus and his balance has been terrible since the accident occurred. It has been getting progressively worse. Prior to the accident his job entailed repelling over walls and walking on ledges many days. His balance was excellent. Everyone has been telling us for all this time that all of this is a result of the head injuries and only focused on that. We were sent to neurologist that we had not seen before and he did the Dix-Hallpike maneuver and my husband was in extreme distress. He diagnosed him with labyrinthine dysfunction. This is the first time we have heard this diagnosis. I scheduled an appointment with an ENT. He went back to work after the accident for 4 years and kept trying but has had so many issues, he was out more than he was there. He has now been out of work for almost 2 years. We did apply for SSDI but were denied and are waiting for an ALJ hearing. If there is anything that can be done for him, we obviously would prefer him to be back to normal and working but no one is giving us much hope for that. I would like to understand what questions I should be asking at the appointment for both SSDI and also ways in which he can be helped. He did try vestibular rehabilitation at the suggestion of a different neurologist and it made him worse rather than better. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
Hello
I am not sure what your question is exactly?