healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

I fell down some steps 2 days ago and am now having

I fell down some steps 2 days ago and am now having intermittent numbness in my right posterior scalp area? What kind of injury would cause this?
healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Intermittent numbness in your right posterior scalp can be due to injury to the sensory nerves supplying to that region due to the recent fall that you had.

healthydoc :

Besides these do you have symptoms like blurred vision, lethargy, nausea or vomiting?

Customer:

no

Customer:

Is this something that will pass with time and rest?

healthydoc :

okay. If you do not have the symptoms mentioned above it is not likely to be dangerous. Due to the nature of injury you may experience numbness due to injury to the sensory nerves and it may heal in a week or two.

healthydoc :

Yes rest and time will heal it. But if you develop any of the symptoms mentioned above than please seek medical attention.

healthydoc :

No medication would cure numbness but sometime taking anti inflammatory can help reduce the inflammation thus helping to make recovery process faster.

Customer:

Okay good

Customer:

so is this like from pinched nerves in neck?

healthydoc :

It is more like pinched nerve and in your case the sensory nerves are affected due to inflammation.

Customer:

wondered why it was intermittent and seems to be associated with movement of upper extremities.

healthydoc :

As you had a fall you might have muscle spasm which can lead to irritation of nerves and would be more felt in certain positions.

Customer:

I wondered if it might be spasm. Just experience a little "zing" on that side of posterior scalp

Customer:

I kind of thought it might be like sciatica, just in the neck?

healthydoc :

yes the electric shock like sensation can be due to muscle spasm irritating the nerve.

Customer:

Would you recommend muscle relaxers or just anti-inflammatory?

healthydoc :

If you neck was involved in the fall than you can have nerve compression in your neck.

healthydoc :

if anti inflammatory does not help than yes you may need muscle relaxant like flexiril.

Customer:

Okay well thank you very much

healthydoc :

You're welcome. My goal is to provide you an excellent service. If you have no further questions than please rate my answer positively. thank you.