Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have a lot of burning feelings in the top part of my head.

I have a lot of burning feelings in the top part of my head. Also I have short periods of feeling like I am very drunk and not having a drink. First noticed it a week after I had surgery on my knee. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Neuro Doctor :

Hi, I am Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience.

Neuro Doctor :

Although these symptoms started after having a knee surgery however most likely these are not related to the knee surgery. We need to explore neurological and some other possibilities to explain your symptoms and there may not be any connection with the knee surgery and these new symptoms and it may be just coincidental these symptoms manifested after the knee surgery.

There are several neurological/brain conditions that can cause these new symptoms you are having. Even certain types of inner ear disorders too can cause drun***** *****ke feeling. Within the brain problems in the brain stem or cerebellum can cause these symptoms. Some of them are primary brain conditions and some are secondary to a systemic medical condition like thyroid disease, vitamin deficiencies, inflammatory or infectious causes, electrolyte disturbances etc affecting the brain. I am not telling all these above are applicable in your case, but providing you with a list of possibilities based on what we see in our clinical practice for your new symptoms.

So as you see there are three main explanations for your new symptoms and they are neurological, ear, and systemic medical conditions. If not already done then you need to see your clinic doctors as soon as possible and undergo a thorough clinical examination followed by certain relevant investigations like a brain scan (a CAT scan or MRI scan of the brain) and certain relevant blood tests too and this will help in clinching the final diagnosis and then treated appropriately.

And please see that these type of new symptoms (severe burning feeling over top of the head & drunk like feeling) do not automatically mean that there is an underlying serious condition, in fact on most occasions such symptoms are commonly related to some non-serious benign conditions so I reassure you in this regard, however considering these are new symptoms so you may see your clinic doctors as soon as possible for a thorough clinical evaluation/examination & certain relevant investigations as pointed above (blood tests & brain scan like CAT scan or MRI scan of the brain) and once a final precise diagnosis is arrived it will be treated appropriately. And an early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick and complete recovery so try to see your clinic doctors including a neurologist as soon as possible.

Neuro Doctor :

When your time permits please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions and I will be available for further discussions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me Excellent to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Hi Joe, when your time permits please go through the above information and let me know if you have any further questions and I will be available for further discussions.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor