Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I had an EEG done due to complaints of tingling and stinging

I had an EEG done due to complaints of tingling and stinging pains all over my body. The neurologists office called today to say that the test results were abnormal and that they want me to do a 48 hr outpatient EEG. I was not able to speak to the Neurologist only the assistant. Obviously I am a little worried. Should I be?
I know you don't have all my details...but I am so worried I guess I am looking for some sort of peace of mind.
Hi, I am Neuro Doctor, an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast clinical experience.
There is no reason to worry because now they have asked for prolonged duration EEG (48 hours out patient EEG). When a neurologist asks for a prolonged duration eeg all it means is the routine eeg (regular eeg) has not given all the information they are looking for and by doing the prolonged duration eeg we can get more information but in no way it implies anything serious. The regular eeg or routine eeg is done for around 15 minutes to 45 minutes and this eeg because it is of short duration it may sometimes unable to identify the conditions we are looking for because this eeg finishes within a short duration so we order a prolonged duration eeg like 48 hours out patient eeg which is also called as an ambulatory eeg and ordering this prolonged duration eeg in no way implies that a neurologist is suspecting something serious, it only implies that the short duration eeg did not help so they are ordering a prolonged duration eeg.
Once again I reassure you that there is no need to worry because prolonged duration eeg is ordered and in no way ordering a prolonged duration eeg implies there is some serious health condition, all it implies is the neurologist did not get the info what they were looking for with the short duration regular or routine eeg so they are now ordering a prolonged duration eeg, and in no way it implies they are suspecting anything serious in nature so no need to worry from the perspective of serious diseases.
Please let me know if you have any further questions. And if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me Excellent to compensate me for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your quick response. This does make me feel better.

You are very welcome!
I once again reassure you that ordering a prolonged EEG does not in anyway imply they are suspecting anything serious, it is just a procedural approach, nothing more than that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,
I have been seeing my neurologist not for the past couple months. I went to her due to constant tingling and some white dots in my brain mri. Since then, I have had a cervical spine MRI which was clear. I have also done a series of blood tests which were also negative. I did a spinal tap yesterday and I am waiting on the results of that.
I am not scheduled to see my neuro for a follow up until Dec and she is very hard to get a hold of.
In the mean time I was hoping you could give me some direction.
My symptoms to date are...tingling all over body.
Pressure in my head (especially when i turn my head to the left and right)
What i am concerned about tho is that within the last week the roof of my mouth (towards my back teeth) has become a bit soft and jelly like. It is not an open sore nor does it hurt, but it is not going away. It is a whitish color. Is this something that could be a result of whatever I might have going on neurologically? Should I contact my doctor ASAP or can I wait until my follow up in Dec?

Hi, sorry I couldn't reply earlier as I was away from the computer and just returned.
The symptom you mentioned in the roof of mouth towards the back of the teeth appearing whitish in color, soft & jelly like does not appear to be anything serious in nature. And also it does not appear to be anything neurological. While for your other symptoms like the whole body tingling, the pressure feeling in the head, the white spots on the mri, and for the eeg test etc you need to follow up with your neurologist however for this other new symptom on the roof of the mouth you may see your family doctor because this new symptom is not neurological in nature. This new symptom might mean some local inflammation or some minor infection of the mucosa of the upper oral cavity and the cause for this condition need to be investigated and then appropriately treated. But once again it is n not neurological so you may see your family dr in this regard. I do not say it is an emergency that you need to see your doctor stat but try to see them as soon as possible considering that it is a new symptom, but once again I reassure you this does not sound like anything serious in nature.