Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

My boyfriend was in an accident on Aug. 22nd and has a head

My boyfriend was in an accident on Aug. 22nd and has a head injury. He has been in a coma since. He has been having the involuntary muscle movements but when I was there yesterday his body was active. I was talking to him and pinched him and he flinched. After a while his body settled down and I pinched him again and he did nothing. Is this a small sign of improvement like he is coming to some but then fading back out?

Dr. Bob :

These responses you are eliciting from your boyfriend are likely primitive reflexes. They indicate only a low level of responsiveness.

Dr. Bob :

But this does not mean he has a poor prognosis.

Dr. Bob :

It is still relatively early from the time of his head injury to say when or how much he will recover.

Dr. Bob :

Young healthy individuals often do remarkably well even when they are initially in a deep coma.

Dr. Bob :

Hello? Are you there?

Customer:

Yes, Sorry trying to process it all. These are the first responses he has shown at all and I just don't want to get my hopes up.

Dr. Bob :

Yes, cautious optimism is probably the right approach at this point.

Customer:

Is there anything more I can do to help he besides what I doing now along with praying

Dr. Bob :

Prayer is always helpful for all involved, in my opinion. Beyond that, it is helpful to keep in close touch with his doctors and ask many questions so you better understand what is happening to him and so you can his doctors understand better the kind of person he is. I believe this is very important to fostering a team approach...which usually results in a better outcome.

Customer:

Thank you so very much. You have helped a lot.

Dr. Bob :

You're welcome. Try to be as patient as you are faithful. The body is very smart and usually knows what to do. If it is too unbearable to not know what his doctors are thinking, ask them point blank what they think will happen. Ask them to go over the MRI results with you so you better understand what he is dealing with. But never lose faith, because even when the prognosis is said to be grim, patients surprise us (and embarrass us, thankfully) all the time!!